Since my daughter was very young, my plan has always been to live lighter so as to not have to work as much and as hard as I got older. To work on my own terms. I wanted a lifestyle that would allow me to travel and enjoy life more, to focus on the things that really matter, to be free(er) and less obligated so that should I happen to decide I want to relocate it takes less effort and is less expensive.
I started the downsizing process in 2006 and over the course of 10 years went from a 4bd/3bath home to a 1bd/1bath apt. My initial dream was RV living, the cost of which I realized based on my tastes, wouldn’t afford me the free(er), lighter lifestyle I was dreaming of. When I stumbled on Macy Miller’s tiny house and her build story it just clicked for me that a tiny house was the next step in my journey. To be able to take my house with me when I want to relocate; eliminating most of the relocation costs and headaches associated with relocation. Even if I didn’t travel with my tiny home, a lifestyle that would afford me the opportunity to live and know freedom.
I spent a year and a half researching everything related to tiny houses, understanding and paying attention to my use of space in my apartment and planning all of the details for my tiny house. My tiny house had to be something that represented me and my lifestyle, with lots of light and windows, it had to include everything on my list of the must haves that I deemed important – and hopefully some of the wish list items. I didn’t want to feel like I was giving up anything. My tiny house had to be something that would make me happy and without a doubt and in my best James Brown voice –it had to be funky!
We (me & my Design Dream Team) nailed it!
things i do…
- Tiny House Owner & Advocate
- Project Manager
- Design and Professional Build Services
- Contractor Management/Material Sourcing
- Contributing Author: Turning Tiny, The Small Living Paradigm
- Guest Editor and Contributing Author: Tiny House Magazine -Issue 46
- Founder of Tiny House Trailblazers; holding space and ensuring representation
- 2018 American Studies Association Annual Meeting
- 2018 Women Executives of Charlotte
- 2018 American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting
- 2017 Art, Culture, Creativity & Tiny Houses
- 2017 Sacred Creativity Activation Summit
- 2017 Decatur Tiny House Festival
- 2017 Tiny House Summit
- 2017 Tiny House North Carolina Street Festival
- 2016 Culture Changemakers: Tiny House Talks
- 2016 National Tiny House Jamboree
- 2016 Decatur Tiny House Festival
- 2016 Georgia Tiny House Festival
- Traveler, Wanderer, Do-er, Dreamer & Sunshine Chaser…